Why test wastewater for COVID-19?
The latest studies indicate that remnants of the SARS-CoV-2 virus will be present in wastewater for both symptomatic and asymptomatic individuals, which means it can detect those cases that might otherwise go unnoticed. In order to keep your employees, buildings, and clients safe, HPE has equipped itself to provide quick and easy wastewater testing.
Wastewater testing is conducted using reverse transcription-quantitative polymerase chain reaction (RT-qPCR) for SARS-CoV-2 in wastewater. The RT-qPCR tests will detect the viral RNA or genetic signature of SARS-CoV-2. The cycle threshold (CT) values obtained will be used to quantify the copies of two RNA gene sequences (SARS-CoV-2 N1 and SARS-CoV-2 N2) in the wastewater samples. The results are then reported as copies of viral RNA/mL. Sampling kits will be provided upon request. If you would like to learn more, please view our summary below, as well as our informational flyer and resource links.
Is wasterwater testing more efficient?
Wastewater testing is a more efficient way to measure the prevalence of the COVID-19 virus in your community. Because it does not rely on voluntary testing or observation of symptomatic individuals, you are able to detect early trends within your community or building and take proactive measures to minimize closures and quarantines.
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) notes that, while wastewater testing is an efficient method for the early detection and prevention of outbreaks, it is “not meant to replace existing COVID-19 detection systems” but rather compliment them with:
- Efficiently pooled community samples
- Viral data for buildings or communities where timely testing is either unavailable or underutilized
- Measurements of early trends within communities and defined settings
- Context for the effectiveness and implementation of current or future preventative measures
What do you need to sample wastewater?
HP Environmental is happy to provide sampling kits upon request. Contact our office by email (email@example.com) or call us at 703-471-4200. Once you have your sampling kits, we can walk you through how to take, store, and ship your wastewater samples. The standard turn around time (TAT) for wastewater samples is 3-5 days with rush sampling possible based on availability and need. Our Microbiology team is also available to answer any question you may have regarding wastewater or surface testing for SARS-CoV-2 and best methods for keeping your workplace and employees safe.
For more information on wastewater testing for SARS-CoV-2, please visit the resources and articles provided below. If you have other questions about implementing wastewater testing plans, ordering sampling kits, or strategies for detection and prevention, please feel free to contact our offices using our contact information at the bottom of this page.
- National Wastewater Surveillance System (NWSS) – Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- U. Va. study finds wastewater testing in dorms provides early COVID-19 detection – WTOP
- COVID-19 Wastewater Testing Proves Effective in New Study – UVa Health
- Wastewater Surveillance for COVID-19 – Virginia Department of Health
- More responsive COVID-19 wastewater testing (Stanford University) – Science Daily